Agua de Pepino
Mexicans love cucumbers, both as spears dipped in salt and chile powder or in sweet preparations like this one. This pretty pale green drink is tremendously refreshing and will convert anyone who doubts that cucumbers benefit from little sugar. - Roberto Santibañez
Agua de Pepino /
Cucumber Agua Fresca
From the book Tacos, Tortas, and Tamales: Flavors from the Griddles, Pots, and Streetside Kitchens of Mexico by Roberto Santibañez
Makes 6 to 8 tall, icy glasses
- 1 English cucumber (about 3/4 pound), peeled and roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup sugar, or more to taste
- 1/4 scant cup freshly squeezed lime juice Spearmint sprigs for garnish (optional)
- Ice cubes
Blend the cucumber, sugar, and lime juice with 3 cups of water until very smooth.
Strain mixture through a sieve into a large pitcher, then stir in 1 cup of water. Gradually season the agua fresca to taste with sugar and lime juice.
• Chill the pitcher in the fridge, then stir thoroughly, add the mint sprigs, if using them, and pour the agua fresca into ice-filled glasses.
Oster 10 Speed Die-Cast Blender
- 10 speeds for precise control at the touch of a button
- 6-Cup glass jar, 1.4 Liter dishwasher-safe glass
- 450 Watts of ice crushing power
- Versatile- makes frozen drinks, sauces, smoothies, soups and more!
- Legendary Performance. Designed to Last